Recommended room calibration microphones
We propose the miniDSP UMIK-1 microphone as a microphone for use with our digital room correction software. However, there are many other options available as long as they follow these general microphone guidelines. Please note that measurement microphone is not included in the purchase of the Dirac Live Room Correction software.
Using our software requires an omnidirectional full-bandwidth measurement microphone for room acoustics. We recommend that the frequency response stays within ± 1 dB in the area of the speaker’s frequency response range.
If that is not possible, we recommend that you use a calibration file. The Dirac Live Calibration Tool™ supports microphone calibration files as long as they represent the frequency response of the microphone. Microphones without a flat frequency response will produce incorrect measurement information, and you will have to take this into consideration when setting your target curve.
Another cost efficient option is the microphone kit by XTZ Sound in Balance AB. It includes a measurement microphone, a USB microphone pre-amplifier, cables, clip, briefcase and a calibration file for the microphone. To buy the XTZ microphone, click one of the links below.
Here are some direct links to purchase some validated mics on Amazon
- miniDSP UMIK-1 USB Measurement Calibrated Microphone
- Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone,Silver
- Beyerdynamic MM-1 Electret Condenser Omnidirectional Measurement Microphone with Linear Frequency Response
- AudioControl SA-4100i Omni-directional Audio Test and Measurement Microphone for Apple / iOS Devices
- Earthworks M30 Measurement Microphone